Using CoinGate shopping cart plugins and extensions makes it really easy to setup Bitcoin payments in your online shop. This blog post covers WooCommerce Bitcoin plugin installation step-by-step, screenshots included.
We are glad that you are interested in our WooCommerce Bitcoin plugin. Installing it into your online store is quite easy, so please follow the steps below for a swift and smooth start.
First and foremost, you will need to sign up for an account on CoinGate. For production, use our main website: https://coingate.com. But before you go live, you may want to do some testing, to make sure everything works nicely. For this purpose, we have a sandbox environment: https://sandbox.coingate.com – just remember to create an account here even if you already have one on our main website.
The installation of our WooCommerce Bitcoin module is quite easy. In order to ensure that CoinGate Bitcoin gateway is working properly on your website, we will go over these two quick steps:
- Setup API credentials on CoinGate.
- Installthe CoinGate Bitcoin module for WooCommerce.
For the testing mode to work, you must generate separate API credentials on https://sandbox.coingate.com, since API credentials generated on https://coingate.com will not work in the sandbox environment. To create a set of API credentials, login to your CoinGate account, and either complete the auto-setup wizzard, or find the API tab on the menu, click “Apps”, and then click “+New App”.
WooCommerce Bitcoin plugin installation
Please note, this guide was created using WordPress 4.7.4, but is also useful for installing older or upcoming versions.
1. Login to your WordPress admin panel and go to Plugins > Add New.
2. In the Search Plugins field, type in “coingate”. When the CoinGate for WooCommerce plugin is displayed, click “Install Now” (if asked, enter your FTP credentials).
3. After the plugin is installed, click “Activate”.
4. Go to WooCommerce > Settings > Checkout > CoinGate and then click the check box next to “Enable Bitcoin payment via CoinGate”. If needed, change the Description and the Title according to your preferences.
5. Enter your API credentials on the WooCommerce configuration page.
6. Set the Receive Currency parameter to the currency in which you wish to receive your payouts from CoinGate. Please note, if you set it to EUR or USD, you must pass Level 2 Merchant verification before you can receive payouts (by uploading your identification, business registration and address proof documents). If you set the Receive Currency to BTC (Bitcoin), then verification is not needed.
At this point, you can also configure how CoinGate order statuses will correspond to WooCommerce order statuses. Leave the default options if you are not sure.
7. If you are using Sandbox API credentials, then turn Test Mode on.
8. Finally, click “Save changes”, and you are good to go!
Check out the benefits of Bitcoin for your business and our payout options by clicking the button below!